Tuesday, April 28, 2009

GreenField: Fast Forward

Lauren Greenfield started out this project as a local one and it turned out into a worldwide project ranging from California to Shanghai. Greenfield photographed youth in various different settings and found one thing in common, a phenomenon of "getting older younger" which she talks about in her artist statement. Fast forward was the book of photographs she produced.

She immediately caught my attention with the first photo of a young girl at her graduation playing a hand held video game. That reminded me so much of myself sitting at my graduation on my phone that I had to laugh. As I went on though the photos were not as humorous. There is a picture of a little girl looking in the mirror poking her butt out posing in a bathing suit. The girl looks no more than seven and she already is trying to pose sexy, yet there are Winnie the pooh characters on her tub. That was a great example of getting older younger.

Her photos also delt with race and class. She showed pictures of youth in different settings both upper class suburban youth and also poorer urban youth. The difference was very clear to me in the pictures but the common theme of "getting older younger" still stood out to me.

What I didnt understand from her artist statement was why she set out to take these pictures. How did her project begin?

1 comment: