Tuesday, February 3, 2009

When I was 13...

When I was 13... hmmm wow that was about eight years ago, ouch i feel old! That was the end of middle school and the beginning of high school, quite the transitional period. Middle school is where i formed my real group of friends. You know, in elementary school you were forced to be friends with the neighborhood kids but in middle school you had all of the kids in your age group who lived in Woonsocket to choose from (lol that thought makes me die laughing). By the time I turned 13 i was leaving middle school and entering high school, which officially gave me three years of bonding with my friends. As you can see at that time everything was about my friends! I think of all the sleepovers, and the boys, and the drama!

At this time my friends and I were also creating "our image". We were starting to pay attention to what people were wearing on tv, in magazines, and in the music videos. It was at this point that i begin to care about what i looked like and what others thought about me. Sometimes I wish I could have kept the simplistic view of "image" that i had as a child... you know were you only cared about what you liked whether it matched or not!

It was in 9th grade that boys entered the picture as well! I started to really notice boys and starting to crave attention from boys. Don't get me wrong, I was know where near boy crazy or anything lol but its just when the real attraction began!

Thinking back now on my 13th year it was such a transitional period. It was when I began to care about the things society tells women they should care about.... how you look and boys! How ironic! Its like society catches you at one of you most vulnerable point... the begining of your teenage years!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this little portrait of you! Check the syllabus for instruction on how to post Talking Points for the weekly readings. Email me if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete